In the years around menopause, you may experience changes in your sexual life. Some women say they enjoy sex more after they don’t have to worry about getting pregnant. Other women find that they think about sex less often or don’t enjoy it as much.
Changes in sexuality at this time of life have several possible causes, including:
- Decreased hormones can make vaginal tissues drier and thinner, which can make sex uncomfortable.
- Decreased hormones may reduce sex drive.
- Night sweats can disturb a woman’s sleep and make her too tired for sex.
- Emotional changes can make a woman feel too stressed for sex.
- Keep in mind that being less interested in sex as you get older is not a medical condition that needs treatment. But if you are upset about sexual changes, you can get help. Don’t be shy about talking with your doctor or nurse. They certainly have talked with many women about these issues before.